Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday Post # 2: Lack of Coordination

Having a frustrating moment, vocally. I'm thinking it might be time to put Ouvre ton coeur aside and start something else. Most of that dang song falls right where my voice breaks. Then there are these jumps from notes there to notes above or below, notes that I'm comfortable with on their own but those dang transitions are hanging me up. I've been practicing all sorts of vocalizes (vocaleses?) to help train myself to just do it. I think that first I have to get through the mental thing. I mean, duh, first I have to conquer this mental thing. It's not a jump, right? I shouldn't look at the staff and think, gee, I have to jump up to that note from there. I need to keep it all on the same level and just go there, otherwise I either punch it (out of control) or close down and swallow it. It's not easy to digest so swallowing it is not ideal.

It's not a jump. It's just a go. Go from here to there. No problem.

I'm still working on the energy thing, controlling my abs and my breath, getting the breath lower in my body so I can sustain the higher notes without that blurt-and-swallow thing.

The truth is, I want it to all come together the first time I try to put it together, and of course that's not possible. So now how does my logical brain get the message through to the singing brain? I guess that's why the Evaluators suggested I try this song - for the learning experience. Or, as it seems to be today, the frustration experience.

No comments: