Friday, October 17, 2008

Red Bull Birdcatcher

Just saw a Red Bull ad on tv. It was a cartoon of a cat sitting in an easy chair. There was a feather sticking out of its mouth and an open can of Red Bull drink on the table. Then the scene panned up to show an empty birdcage, door open, a feather floating down. The announcer said, "Got Wings?"

The entire thing was set to Papageno's Birdcatcher Song. Actually it sounded a lot like the Baby Einstein version. Yeah, I know that links to the other aria. I couldn't find the BC one on YouTube.

So how many people knew what the song was? What's the percentage? Any guesses? Seriously. I think I'm being generous when I say 20%.

Edited to add: Wow I sound like such a snob, hahahaha. Ah, who cares.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I knew what song it was! My parents gave me the weirdest look when I started laughing when I realized how well they had matched up the music to the cartoon!

Kaitebon said...

Ha! I saw that, too, and I wondered how many people actually got the joke. In some ways, though, the music spoils the joke. THe moment it started playing, I said, "I bet he's eaten some bird" even though you don't know in the beginning...

Susan said...

Well the music only spoils it for people who know what the music is. The moment I realized I was like, ok, where's the bird?

Kaitebon said...

I found the music itself to be a tiny bit irritating, though...