Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Parallel History - A Friend and A Person

The internet is a wonderful, fascinating place in that it brings people together who otherwise would never have the opportunity. I have become friendly and made friends with people I got to know online via YouTube, MySpace, a Lord of the Rings RPG group (rpg= role playing game), the NG Yahoo message board and here in the blogosphere. It's great how sometimes you just click with people for whatever reason. You could say it's chemistry but does that apply when you've never met in person? I am friends with people from Washington state, Oregon, California, Pennsylvania, Ohio, France, and I'm friendly with many others from all over the world.

So that said, one of my newest friends, someone who thinks about life the same way I do, with whom I could say I instantly clicked, is going to Chicago to see Pearl Fishers. In fact, this friend is flying in and out the same day. Crazy, right? Hmm that could explain why we instantly clicked.

Ok. So. Remember the person who gave me permission to use that PF rehearsal picture? He has a very entertaining blog (in which he recently said "hi" to his newest readers) (and which he updated moments ago as I was writing about it... oooh spooky ha ha) and there he promotes himself with these silly postcards he doctors up to add his picture and url. He says that he'll send you a postcard if you find him on one of the social networking sites. He just so happens to be in Pearl Fishers at the Lyric.

Ok. So. My friend who is flying to Chicago to see Pearl Fishers joined one of the social networking sites and wrote this person a message, telling him that she found his blog through mine, and that she's coming to see the opera, etc. Oh did I mention that my friend has a tiny crush on a certain other opera singer who is also appearing in Pearl Fishers? Anyway... I think the person is aware of that because of a message I sent him during our initial correspondence, in which I told him about this friend and where she'll be aiming her binoculars, without naming names of course.

Ok. So. This person wrote back to my friend and told her... wait for it... that he'd put her on the list so she could go backstage after the performance if she'd like. Ha! Sound familiar? I actually did the Happy Dance in my kitchen when I saw her email about it, I was so excited for her. I mean, I know exactly how she feels. So now my friend has to figure out how to not pee in her pants or whatever her personal reaction may be as she goes backstage, and also how to see the crush when she's invited back there by this other person. Maybe after she reads this she'll post a comment identifying herself, but that's up to her. I will, of course, hound her for a "guest" blog entry about her experience and she dang well better pick up a cell phone between now and then so she can call me during intermission.

And for me, I'll post a picture of the promised postcard if/when it gets here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, you deserve all the credit for my little jaunt. Your blog is daily inspiration and hilarity.
As a relative opera newbie, what I love about the internet is all the videos available! What a wealth of great performances, and a fun way to learn!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I mean, WOW. That was super confusing. But joyful as always!

Susan said...

Banawoman - You're the one who's going! Take the credit for that. I'm glad I inspired you. Good to know I'm not the only lunatic out there.

Anon - It's simple. There are two characters: A friend and a person. But to confuse everyone else, I saw your OTHER message and acknowldege.