Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday Post # 1 - Pearl Fishers Broadcast WOW WOW WOW!

Pearl Fishers. I had no idea how beautiful it was. I had a real, "Where have you been all my life?" sort of feeling, because I don't think my mother ever had that one on in the background when I was growing up. I wish I could have seen the action, but the radio announcers did a great job giving a detailed synopsis of what was about to happen before each act. The famous duet is right near the beginning, and then that same melody returns in bits and pieces throughout the rest of the opera, in such a way that it just makes your heart ache.

It's like this - Zurga, (the Gunnster), is sort of the top dude in this fishing village, like a judge and lawmaker type dude. One day his old buddy Nadir shows up and the two of them reminisce about how much they had been through together way back when, and they sing that oh-so-famous duet about how they were at this temple and saw this priestess and they both fell in love with her. They decided not to let that ruin their friendship, and then at that point for some reason I didn't catch, they parted ways. Zurga went off and found the village. Nadir, the sneak, stalked the priestess. She knew he was stalking her and thought it was kind of cool. Ok. so, back we are in the present. Every year (I think) this priest (deep-saffron clad CVH) brings a beautiful priestess, Leila, to bless/pray for/bring luck to the village. She wears a veil, has a vow of purity, yadda yadda yadda. So soon after Nadir arrives, up floats the boat with the beautiful priestess. Zurga is like, "Hey, are you ready to do your thing?" and when she replies, Nadir recognizes her voice, then she somehow sees him and does a double take, causing Zurga to be like, "Um, are you sure?" and she's sworn in or whatever the ceremony is. Later as everyone is out working but that sneak Nadir, he goes to sing to the priestess. She can't resist him (if he sang to me like that I'd have been his too) and replies that she digs him too. So of course they can't help themselves and there goes her vow. Now I wasn't totally paying attention so this part of the story is a bit fuzzy, but I think they either get caught, or, more likely, Zurga realizes who she is and goes to talk to her because, of course, he still lusts after her after all these years. She admits to him that she and Nadir are already "together," and he freaks out, abuses his position of power and in a fit of jealousy condemns them both to death. Harsh.
So to prepare for being dead, she gives her necklace to a soldier and asks him to give it to her mother, it was given to her by a man whose life she once saved. Well of course jealous Zurga overhears and recognizes the necklace because, wouldn't you know, he's the man.
So everyone's ready for this execution - it's like a big party because this is an Event. Zurga is like, dang, I can't put them to death, not only do I still love her (and him, in that brotherly way), she saved my life! So instead of just telling everyone, which would have been the right thing to do, he sneaks off and lights the village on fire. Then he comes running back, yelling, "Fire! Everyone run back and save the children!" When the villagers are gone, he tells Nadir and Leila to run while they can - he's saving their lives! He knows that when the villagers realize what has happened they'll put HIM to death. So it's all heartbreaking and stuff and even the happy couple floats off in a cloud of guilt.

So I know my description is a bit lighthearted, but the music was anything but. I was all weepy and sniffly for most of it. I was so moved, I sent messages to both CVH and Eric Cutler to let them know, mid-show, (yes I know they weren't checking their email during the show) how wonderful it was.

In between acts they broadcast bits of an interview that was done with the Gunnster, Eric Cutler and some others. Eric explained a technique called "mixed voice" for hitting the higher notes in certain arias. He sounded amazing. Seriously - another one of those, "If you sing it to me, I'll do whatever you ask" kind of voices. Dang.

Now I want to hear the opera over and over (and I can because I have a copy of the broadcast already) and read as much as I can about it. It's nice to add a new opera to the mix in my brain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hilarious synopsis! But pretty much on target from what I can tell. I love listening to virtually nothing else for the last week. The music seeps into your bones. Oh, joie!

The Dutchman said...

As a Lyric Super who played a priest last night in Pearl Fishers, let me give you some perspective of the show.

Visually, it was pretty bland by Lyric standards. Neither starkly minimalistic (like Eugene Onegan) nor visially rich (like Julius Caesar). Large sets dominated by heroic statues of Brahma, fairly bland Celanese costumes, a few torches here and there to give some color to things.

The choral work was amazing and, I think, the best music in the show. Having the full chorus on stage for much of the opera, on a fairly cramped set, made for visual stagnation as the principles were boxed in by the mass of chorus.

Nicole Cabel was the hit of the show for me. Not only does she sing well, but her acting is MUCH better than most divas, and it was fascinating to watch her bare mid-rift flex and contract as she sang.

CVH and Nathan Gunn were also very good last night as well. I missed Eric Cutler's best parts (I was up in make-up getting my bald-wig glued down) early in the opera and, frankly, I don't think I would have liked the final duet between the lovers no matter who did it. It sounded like it was based on "I'm A Little Tea Pot."

The direction, by the ever practical and straight-forward Herb Kellner, was direct and to the point. I don't think anything would have been gained with a radical re-interpretation of a romantic thing like this, and Herb did his best to keep the singers facing the audience, tell the story in a clear way, and keep the chorus from either bunching up next to the scenery or from spreading themselves across the stage like an aerobics class.

humtydumpty said...

Dear Susan: Greetings from the backwater of northern NJ. I tried so hard yesterday to find the broadcast of the Pearl Fisher. I am not as smart as you are. Would you be so kind to tell me how can I get a copy of the broadcast? PLEASE< PLEASE PLEASE.

So glad to hear that you love the music. For years, I told anyone who would listen that the MET should have done a production. Hopefully they will.

Susan said...

NJ Bumpkin - Post a comment with your email address. I won't approve it but I will send you an email with the links.

The Dutchman said...

The MET hasn't produced The Pearl Fishers since they had Caruso do it in 1916.

Anonymous said...

I did get to listen to some of the songs, but not the entire opera. Loved both Mr. Gunn and Mr. Cutler. They used to sing Mozart together at the Met (I think).I wished Mr. Gunn had been in that fabulous Puritani with Mr. Cutler and Ms. Netreko instead of the very dull Ricardo of Franco Vasallo (But Varsallo was quite a Figaro last season at the MET though) THANKS!

PS. I doubt Mr. Gunn would want to sing any of the Bel Canto baritone roles though. All the good looking ones hate them. Well,I take it back, Peter Mattei sings those roles and he's wonderful! Mariusz Kwiecien sings those roles too.