Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Who's That Girl? Believe! Believe!

Due to the automobile configuration this morning, I drove to work in the car that has this thing in it called a cassette player. So instead of listening to Natalie, or Joyce, or Juan Diego, or Nathan or any of the others, I popped in the tape from my last voice lesson.

One of my friends recently teased me that I probably listen to my tapes over and over just to hear myself. Ha! Au contraire! I listen to them only to do the warm-up exercises and to go over the pronunciation, rhythm and melody for new songs.

So this morning I listened to the warm-up and exercises without singing. Wow. I really AM improving. At some points I found myself thinking, "I don't remember my teacher singing that part, I thought I sang the entire thing," and then I'd hear her say something in the background... because it was me singing. And she totally knows what's going on in my mind because what she's saying is, "Believe! Believe!" and then, "Caress the notes! Sing like an opera singer! Gorgeous! Beautiful rounded tone! Yeah baby!" at which point, of course, I lose it and start laughing because I can hear myself and, in spite of her shouting, "Believe! Believe!" I can't believe that I'm producing that music.

My conclusion: Practice, practice, practice. I have to get used to the idea that I can sing like that, so that I can learn to do it for longer stretches without dissolving into laughter.

No comments: