Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bits and Baubles - Do You Feel the Love?

So my summer with My Local Opera Company has come to a close. I'm kind of relieved and kind of sad.

Here are some random reasons why I loved being a super with them this summer:

Puppy Love - Someone brought a puppy to the ice-cream social on Friday. It was sooooooooo cute. The puppy's family includes small children, which explains why it followed Alex around everywhere and tried to play with him, much to the disappointment of all the women who wanted to scoop the pup up and ooh and ahhh over her. No matter where Alex went, this adorable puppy followed him.

Gummy Love - What is it with opera singers and gummy bears/worms/whatever? Both last year and this year the gummies were a big big hit.

Prop Love - After I lost my tray of glasses on opening night, the prop people organized a solution. Four of them each held a tray out for us, and then one of them held that curtain aside so we could get through without mishap. Thanks prop people!

Prop Love part 2 - In Act 2 scene 2 I brought the poker table on, came offstage, grabbed a tray of brandy snifters and went back on. The bed for the next scene was blocking the way off stage, so the prop person there very wisely put the two trays on the bed so she could hand them off as soon as we got there. Thanks prop person!

Book Love - Along with the gummies, I brought to the green room a couple of Bizarro books and a cute cartoon book called Unpleasant Ways to Die. They are perfect bathroom books. In fact, I took them from a basket in my bathroom. I didn't advertise that though...

Book Love part 2- Jimmy gave me that awesome book at a gift. It has operas in it that I've never heard of, and some that I've heard the title of only but knew nothing about. I love it! Thanks, Jimmy!

Listening Love - I loved listening to Michael, Liz, Andy and the others sing. Thanks, talented people, for sharing your talent!

Costume Love - Umm... the guys all looked great in their tuxedos. The women's dresses made them look like princesses. No comment on the checkered dress I had to wear- not much love there.

Pen Love? - The opera company gave gifts to everyone. The singers got a directory of opera houses, theaters, agents and so on, with contact and other pertinent information. The supers got... a pen. How's this for karma? Mine was broken. Hey, thanks for the ... broken pen? I later took it apart to perform some pen surgery, so it sort of works now. It's the type of pen that you twist to get the point to come out. The point on my pen comes out about a millimeter, so the casing scrapes on the paper when I try to write with it. Well it's the thought that counts, and the note was nice. (Yes, I smeared out my last name and the name of the opera company, in case you're wondering.)

Backstage Love:




Not sure if this last one qualifies as Backstage Love. Love Lost might be a better category. This is Clog Guy. Although I never wrote about him here other than that post, he totally ignored (dare I say, snubbed?) me after the Blog Incident. Makes me sad since the Incident had absolutely nothing to do with him. But he was a nice guy who always made me laugh until then, so the picture goes in. The Backstage Love was there when the picture was taken.

Other Random Backstage:



Random guy-on-the-street:

XXXXX

Photo temporarlily removed to protect the innocent.

Nooooo, I'm just kidding! It's me and (anon) ! Yup, the same (anon) who posts comments here on my blog! Wheeeeeee!

No comments: