Friday, July 4, 2008

A Swinging Par-tay!

The head honcho of the opera company hosted a party today. It was weird, as usual, to be sort of alone there. I mean, yeah, Alex and Husband came along, but just like at rehearsals, chorus draped on chorus and principals hung with each other. I was the only super there, not a surprise. My co-supers are very shy and don't interact with the singers much at all. Me, I'm right in there joking around and whatever, because, well, why not? I can stand there and examine how nicely my fingernails fit at the end of my fingers, or I can join in the banter. Up to a point. They all live in the dorm, they party together and so on, so I can't just jump in and enter that intimacy. Oh and they're all at least 10 years younger than I am, if not more. So I can join in but I'm not about to hug anyone and put my hands on their... well, I'm not about to hug anyone.

So at the party, Liz kept trying to get Alex to sing. She is enchanted with him and his opera videos on YouTube. She was so cute, she wanted him to perform for the director. And let's just digress for a moment here - I am a little intimidated and unsure how to act around him, even in a social setting. NONE of the chorus seemed to interact with him at all. Bizarre. Again, he's older than me, they're all in their 20s and this was a party. So anyway there was a point where Elizabeth was on the swing set on this two seater see-saw swing contraption. And anyone who knows anything about 4 year olds knows that a half-empty see-saw swing is an invitation to sit down, so Alex ran over to ride with her. She was thrilled and kept trying to get him to sing. So I started him on the Spiderman theme song a la MoxyFruvous and he joined in, of course raising it up a half-step because silly Mommy started it a little lower than the recording we listen to. She kept trying to get him to sing Papageno but he wasn't having any of that. Then he started singing Libiamo (with la la la not the words, and, of course, the Sock Opera version. And I also must mention that the Libiamo link is to a YouTube video of Rolano Villazon and Anna Netrebko singing it, and I think Michael Fabiano has a much nicer sound than Villazon does, at least here. And Elizabeth has a fuller, smoother, rounder and more pleasant sound than Trebs has here. But that's for another post... But see how everyone in that scene has a glass? Guess how they get them in our production? SPLASH! And now back to your blog post, already in progress.) But she jumped right in and sang with him. So Alex has now sung a duet with a professional opera singer. Can we put that on his resume?

Meanwhile I was just laughing because here we were, supernumerary and diva, hanging out on the swings. Or as someone else called me, a superluminary. Must be because I glow.

No comments: