Sunday, July 6, 2008

Rehearsal Peek and the Voice/Personality Connection

In the rehearsal room, the chorus does their thing:



***********



During tech rehearsal hell, *YAWN* there's the crew on the stage doing I don't know what. Their thing. And the rest of us doing... nothing. No thing:



*************

In making these little clips, I made sure not to record the principals. And it's obvious that no matter how great they sound in rehearsal, they're holding it back until the performance.

So all this big deal is made about sopranos being divas. Yeah, maybe the nobody sopranos in the chorus last year... but as far as the principals go, the sopranos so far have been sweet and normal. The tenors, on the other hand, seem to sort of act like little girls.

Baritones, of course, flirt like crazy, even when they're not interested in women. Mezzos are super-friendly (no pun intended but go ahead and think I did it on purpose if you want) because they're tired of always pretending to be boys. Supers are shy and keep to themselves but I'm breaking the stereotype! I am superluminous, watch me glow!

Hmm. That about sums it up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WEll umm... I was a "nobody soprano in the chorus" last year.... Who are you referring to as being a Diva??? ;-)

Susan said...

Weeeelllll since you clicked over to my blog from my facebook page, that means you're NOT one of the "I'm dropping the door in the supers' faces" sopranos from last year. Yes, that did happen. Or, "Oh, look, candy! Oh wait, it's for the SUPERS. Ugh." Yup, that's a direct quote. :) The same set of women turned their heads away when we said hello directly to them. But trust me, I'm not friends on Facebook with any of them. Of the 3 sopranos on my friends list, all of whom were super sweet and friendly, one is now in Italy, one is I think in Puerto Rico and one is in NJ... and the same way I know how you got to my blog, I know WHERE you are too. So I think I know WHO you are. Is it... TR? The very first soprano chorus member to acknowledge my existence and not ignore me or the other supers or dancers when we said hello? LOL! Did I ever thank you for that? I was about to give up, lol. (see my "no I'm not crazy" post from last year... http://luindriel.blogspot.com/2007/07/no-im-not-crazy.html )

Lydia said...

Heck yes mezzos are awesome! And sometimes we do get tired of pretending to be boys...but then we get to sing really awesome roles like Carmen and Eboli. =)

Mezzos are the only singers who can play both an emperor and a sexy siren. In other words, being a mezzo rocks! =)