Next I tried some online shopping. Didn't buy anything, but loaded up a few carts here and there.
Now here I am, blogging. Actually, first I sang. I sang sad songs to fit my mood and happy songs to lift me out of it. Then the earrings, then the non-shopping and NOW the blogging.
I was feeling all pathetic and sad and made a mental list of all the operatic disappointments I've experienced. I realized that there was no point to that, and I should instead focus on the opera joys. After all, isn't that the advice I'd give someone else? So to be fair, I'll list both.
Um... in no particular order:
- Didn't get the part for this summer.
- Backstage at Firebrand. Oh wait wrong list, that should be on the other, right? Right.
- Conversations with mean people. You know, in person, on the phone, whatever.
- Threats about my blogging jeopardizing my relationship with my local opera co. Don't think that didn't flash, no, imprint itself on my mind as soon as I got the email today.
- Juan Diego Florez dropping out of Barbiere because of that darn Fishbone (although that later became a joy)
- Struggles with singing as I study voice
- The realization that I'll never be an opera singer. I'll never be that good. Or anything close.
- Supering in Romeo
- Supering in Traviata
- Meeting fabulous, wonderful people while supering
- Being onstage surrounded by incredibly talented people
- Making fabulous friends I otherwise would never have known
- Seeing Magic Flute in HD at the movies - damn did that ever change the direction my life took after that! Supering, voice lessons, adventures, travels... Don't even know what to link to this one - the entire blog!
- Seeing Barbiere in the movies - another life-changing experience!
- Being able to afford to see live opera
- All my operatic adventures
- Seeing Romeo at the Met
- Going to Chicago
- Seeing Barbiere
- Going backstage in Chicago
- Going backstage in Chicago
- Did I mention that backstage visit?
- Meeting Nathan Gunn in Chicago
- Going out for drinks after Barbiere in Chicago
- Seeing Nathan and Julie at Zankel Hall
- Chatting with whatshisname and his wife after the ZH performance
- Seeing La Fille at the Met
- Meeting Juan Diego Florez
- Going to dress rehearsals for La Cenerentola and Merry Widow
- Crawling across the stage during Traviata
- Studying voice
- Learning how to sing
- Improving my singing
- Amazing myself with how far I've gone vocally
- Excitement about how much more there is to learn
- Performing in any way shape or form
- Sharing excitement with others about performances, events and music
- Making new friends via fan groups, youtube, the blog and facebook
- Being silly
- Anticipation of future performances
- Taking my mom to see Nozze in Florida
- Seeing Nozze in Florida
- Seeing Firebrand of Florence at Alice Tully
- Seeing La Sonnambula at the Met
- Seeing Lucia at the Met
- Loving live opera
- That feeling you get when the sound washes over your body and just fills you with joy at the beauty of it
- The amazement you feel when you realize that the sound is coming from a human being
- Sharing my experiences and feelings here on the blog with both friends and strangers
- Having readers recognize me!!! Next time I'll take photos, like Nat at CommunityChannel. (my secret guilty pleasure! Watching her hilarious videos!)
- All the Beethoven's Wig videos we've made
- Sharing my love of opera with my son
- Hearing my son sing with perfect pitch
- Hearing my son say he wants to be an opera singer when he grows up
Look! The joys list is much longer than the disappointment list, and I've probably left stuff off. Just go back to the beginning and read through the entire blog.
Ok I'm crying now - those last few posts about Alex did it - damn maternal hormones - so it's time to post.