Monday, March 12, 2007

Kindness of strangers

Hokey title, I know, but it fits.

After seeing Magic Flute in the movies at the end of December, I joined a Nathan Gunn fan group on Yahoo. Someone (might have been me, how lame is it that I can't even remember and I'm too lazy to go look) asked about it coming out on DVD, and I lamented that if only I had Tivo, I would have recorded it and burned a disc. Well two members emailed me and offered to send me a copy! I initially declined the 2nd offer but later accepted, and that's the copy that came today. It works in my DVD player and it even has chapters. No more fast-forwarding and rewinding my already warbly tape! The sound on the DVD is great - so much better than the VHS. And to top it off, the person who sent it refuses to accept any money from me for it.

If only Alex would watch other parts besides Papageno. Not that I mind, of course, but at this point I know ever gesture, every bit of choreography, every background thing... it sort of takes the magic out of it. How many times did I have to see the Pa Pa Pa duet before I noticed that Nathan wipes his nose in the middle, while Papagena is singing a line? When did I notice the loose feather dangling from his wrist? I think I can fill in for the puppet dancers. Heck, I can fill in for the ballet dancers on stilts at this point. Hmm, stilts. Might have to look into that.

No comments: