Thursday, March 15, 2007

More kindness!

When it rains it pours! I got a package of DVDs from the first person who offered the Magic Flute to me. She had recorded it in high resolution so it's on three discs, although the final one is just the credits. It's so sharp, and the sound is excellent! Almost too excellent- you can hear every squeak of the equipment on stage. It's great. And now that I have two copies I can loan one to Denise.

My online friend also sent a copy of "Man on the Moon," the British opera-movie about Buzz Aldrin, starring Nathan Gunn. It was strange but good. Many of the characters smoked but it was obvious that they weren't inhaling. All the dialogue was sung. I remember doing fake opera with my friends as a kid and we'd sing opera-style instead of talking. Even as an adult- I remember singing fake Italian opera with Bill in 1990 - We'd "sing" all Italian foods, opera-style: "Manicoh-ti. Gli spagheh-ti. Rigatoooooooni!" But I digress. Actually I have nothing more to write about the moon movie at this moment because I just finished watching it. I'm sure I'll have more to say once it sinks in.

I sent a thank-you email asking if I can send $ or even better, copies of our favorite fun classical music and opera cds.

And now I'd like to write about the title of this blog: I'd rather be sleeping.
When I listen to opera after 8:00 pm, I have trouble falling asleep. Not because the music is running through my head - I think it's more that the complexity of the music must "wake" my brain up as if I had had a cup of coffee. I'll have to ask around to see if this happens to anyone else.

No comments: