Saturday, February 28, 2009

Weathered Plans

Well, this Baltimore adventure is not looking good right now.

Local forecast for tonight:


THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR
NORTHERN DELAWARE... NORTHEAST MARYLAND...
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY...SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY
AND SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET IS EXPECTED TONIGHT.

And for Sunday:

Sunday: A slight chance of snow before noon,
then a chance of rain, snow, and sleet.
Cloudy, with a high near 38. North wind around 11 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 40%.
New snow and sleet accumulation of
less than a half inch possible.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain, snow, and sleet
before 9pm, then snow.
Low around 26. Blustery, with a north wind
between 11 and 21 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 90%.
New snow and sleet accumulation of
4 to 8 inches possible.

Then the Maryland forecast:


Sunday: A chance of snow and sleet before 1pm,
then a chance of rain, snow, and sleet.
Cloudy, with a high near 39. North wind between
8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
New snow and sleet accumulation of less
than a half inch possible.

Sunday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a
low around 27. Blustery, with a north wind
between 18 and 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
New precipitation amounts between
a tenth and quarter of an inch possible....

WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY
AFTERNOON
THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...
A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS
A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...
OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.


Like I said, it's not looking good... but if it's that bad, maybe the entire
event will be postponed. So I'm sort of hoping that if I can't go, nobody can.
Somehow I doubt that the people who schedule and reschedule these things
will consult me before they make their decision. Perhaps the airport will make
the decision for them.


So either way, sorry Nathan, but I probably
won't be there. I know your heart is just breaking
at the thought.

Firebrand of Florence, on the other hand - I'll be there no
matter what the weather.

Finally, as a sort of addendum to this post, after pasting
the weather service report here, the formatting went
insane on me and my attempts to make the page
pretty have been futile.
Hopefully no one's eyes are going all wonky from it
like mine are.

3 comments:

DivaVixxen said...

As someone who just left Baltimore (and whose dad lives nearby in DC), I can tell you that they tend to overreact when it comes to snow in general. In actuality, it may only be a flurry.

Susan said...

I know, I know. They do that here too. My theory is that the weather reporters get kickbacks from the milk, egg and bread distributors. I mean, we all know everyone loves to make french toast when it might snow.

DivaVixxen said...

Ah, if only I could cook, because French Toast sounds nice right about now.