Saturday, May 31, 2008

Against My Better Judgement

Here I am practicing Lasciatemi Morire.

I hear many mistakes. Like, I mess up the timing on that part, and laugh, and then lose it in the high notes of the following measure. I know my mouth isn't open enough, my jaw not slack enough.

Not sure why I kept looking out the window. I think someone was outside catching my eye. Plus I was preoccupied a little, hoping I could finish the song before Husband and Child got home.

Not sure what I'm doing with my hands... except of course when I'm trying to count. Trying not to hunch into the emotion, which I felt myself doing a bit.

So I know this isn't the best I can do, but I wanted to share my Work In Progress. I'll gladly welcome any tips. (except, "this stinks," because I do that myself already.)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, even if 0:57- 1:00 is a bit frightening, all I can say is this: It was very nice to listen to. Really. HONEST! Even though there's a lot of work to be done, it's great to see how passionate you are.
And you know, in what I would call "your appropriate range" you have a wonderful voice.
It's brave of you to post that, and I think you should be proud of what you've gotten down so far.
Keep us updated with the progress!

-Jimmy

Susan said...

Thank you for your honest assessment. The scary stuff from 0:57-1:00, I can fix. One problem I need to overcome is, if I make a mistake, not to let it affect me going forward. Practice, practice, practice.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jimmy. In your range, you have a beautiful tone to your voice. It's also not easy to sing in a foreign language you are not comfortable with. Practice in English, even if it's just tone and range practice. You are correct in that you let the little bits you are uneasy with hamper your starts into the next. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so you're better than I, but opening your mouth and standing straighter will help to get a better range in the higher octaves. Keep it up Suzy Q~

Susan said...

Thank you! And since you didn't sign your name... my guess is... Michele?

I actually love singing in Italian... ;) Discomfort with the language isn't interfering because I'm not uncomfortable. I practice vocalises all the time, in "no" language - mainly different vowel sounds in various patterns, ranges and speeds. Thanks again for your comment.