Monday, June 2, 2008

Bizarre Dream

Last night I dreamed that my voice teacher gave me an assignment to write (yes, write) a duet for two sopranos by this coming Friday. Not a mezzo and a soprano, but two sopranos. I decided to write a mother and daughter duet. The daughter was pregnant and they were arguing about names. (reality check: that did not happen to me, nor am I pregnant). I was all freaked out because I didn't know how to read and write musical notation, so in the dream I started with the rhythm and wrote some clever rhyming lyrics, and decided that I would just record the tune or make up my own notation system. I remember writing the lyrics, they seemed clever in the dream, I think the mother was giving suggestions for names and the daughter was saying why the suggestions were no good.

I should have written it down as soon as I woke up. Maybe I'll dream the rest of the duet tonight.

So not only is opera keeping me awake, it's also invading my sleep.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I love opera dreams! I once had a dream I was singing in "Don Carlo", and I didn't know my aira (the one Elisabetta sings to her exiled maid). So, the bass playing Filippo comes up to me and says he has everything taken care of, and the rest of the cast proceeds to have a cooking show in the middle of the opera...I also think I was about 16 when I had this dream...

Susan said...

Lydia, That's an awesome dream! I love it! Maybe one day you'll write that into an opera, if you decide to start composing, lol.