Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Busy Earning Beverages and Remembering

Just threw this together... Now that I have the hang of the program, it's surprisingly easy. Although... I did try to just do the "Pour mon ame" part but could only figure out how to trim the end, not the front. So here it is... and LISTEN to those notes at the end. WOWZA!



And while I was waiting for it to process and upload, I watched this:



This took me from 7th grade up through college graduation. I was a bit out of touch with the MTV scene once I entered college in the fall of 1985, and I don't know all the songs listed for 1989! But I was, at the time, very involved in both my college radio station and the local music scene (follow that link and scroll down to the "music" section), plus there was no cable in the dorm, so who had time to keep up with the video top 40? The only time I watched TV was to see the Olympics and The Young Ones. Wait a sec, wasn't that on MTV???

Ok so while we're going down memory lane, I'll list some of the 80s bands I've seen in concert.

Adam Ant - (6 times, and met him.) (of course! I've always been this way...)
INXS - (6 times, hung out with them)
Eurogliders - (Many times, hung out many times, and recently reconnected on MySpace!)
The Police
REM - twice (Once opening for the Police)
Joan Jett (Opening for the Police)
Madness (Opening for the Police)
The Cure
Echo and the Bunnymen
Midnight OilGene Loves Jezebel
Lords of the New Church
Nik Kershaw
Fishbone
Joe Jackson
The Alarm (twice, and met them)
New Order
Squeeze
Duran Duran (3 times in the 80s, once in the 90s but for some reason never met them. Wouldn't want to now...)
Billy Joel (free tickets up in the nosebleed section of MSG)
U2
The Monkees
(without Mike Nesmith)
The Fixx
Pink Floyd
Paul McCartney
Hoodoo Gurus (met them)
The Fleshtones
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Grateful Dead (twice. don't ask.)
Phish (wait a sec I think I've entered the 90s... saw them several times, met them, etc.)

I also met Wham but didn't see them perform. I'm not quite sure that's something I should be admitting though...

I know there are more, and I'll probably remember a whole bunch the moment I shut down the computer. Meanwhile, it was a major PIA to do all those links, so please click a few so all my hard work will be worth it.

2 comments:

Carlos said...

Uhhhmm... I know you said "don't ask", but... why you said don't ask? ;) I saw the Dead a few times too, ones in Barcelona and at least a couple of times in the Bay Area. They were my fav group...

Susan said...

Oh I don't know. I wasn't really into the Dead, but a bunch of my friends were so it was more of a social outing. Actually it was more of a sociological outing - what a scene at a Dead show! Barefoot girls in skirts spinning in circles before collapsing, giggling, into each others arms. Drugged-out kids wandering around bumping into things... My favorite memory though is of getting herded out the wrong door and instead of going over the highway on a pedestrian bridge to the parking lot, a very large number of people, myself included, had to cross the highway on foot. There was a concrete wall in the center with a fence on top of it that was too tall to step over, so we were all climbing the fence and dropping down into the fast lane of traffic. Very exciting!