Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why Opera Keeps me Awake

I'll always love this. I feel so lucky to have seen it performed live, just like this, with the same three singers. From La Fille du Regiment:



And then there's this, from La Cenerentola, which, now that I listen to after the Donizetti, doesn't sound that different. Rossini here, Donizetti there... A coworker of mine who Knows These Things told me that they competed in how quickly they could throw an opera together.



Here's a fun one from Barbiere, especially for those of you who like some girl-on-girl action:



Since they play catch with an orange in the above video, here's the orange's "revenge" as she sings Habanera from Carmen. I remember this from my childhood!



Now listen to this craziness. More Cenerentola. Lots of Cecelia Bartoli... her voice doesn't sound real...



This just swirls my brain. I love it! From Matilde di Shabran.



Finally, to calm us down after all that, here's something I sometimes listen to just before shutting down the computer. Yes, I know, I'm Jewish, but that doesn't mean I can't like Ave Maria, especially when Juan Diego is singing it.

3 comments:

Kaitebon said...

Is that from the Covent Garden DVD? (YOU GOT TO SEE THIS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I saw it in Movies...which was nice, but I would LOVE to see it live!

Susan said...

LOL Kaitebon you obviously haven't been reading my blog for very long! Yes I saw this live. I think I wrote about it a *few* times before and after... ;) Go back to the late April/early May posts for my version of a review and of course the pictures of me and The Man. ;)

Raisa said...

I love that trio! It is geniously funny!