Monday, March 24, 2008

Some More (teenaged)Thoughts

Enough already! Get on with your life and stop daydreaming!

Ok but I just want to say once more that he (who?) was so very nice. Almost shy. I mean at first he wasn't, but then when I was all smiley and trying not to giggle he kind of got the same way, it was cute, very charming really. And sort of slightly dorky. But then again, aren't all guys once you start to talk to them?

But that intense eye contact and those smiles verging on giggles... it reminded me of this guy I met on New Years Eve, 1991 maybe? Um... Joel was his name. I went with a friend to a dinner party at Joel's sister's house and he was there. Our eyes met and we had this instant connection. We spent the entire evening stealing glances and doing that smiling-trying-not-to-giggle thing, all the while making normal dinner-party small talk. We'd pass food dishes, our hands would touch and it was like electricity. Seriously. He had the most amazing blue eyes. We all went to a party later at his house where he lived with a bunch of guys. I ended up staying over but get your mind out of the gutter - NOTHING happened. Well, that's not entirely true. We spent the longest amount of time gazing at each other saying what amazing eyes the other person had, and then he went to sleep in the other room because he knew he wouldn't get any sleep if we were in the same room. He told me that earlier that week he had had one kiss with a woman he had liked for a long time, and he thought that they were about to have a serious relationship. (He was right, they later married). In my mind, laying there with me and saying all those things was already "cheating" but that's another topic... the entire evening was so intense and wonderful, even though it was one-night-standish. (remember, nothing happened but looking and talking!!) So those shy smiles, intense stares and almost giggles that I had with Nathan totally flashed me back to the evening in 1991 (or whenever) with Joel. Everyone needs an evening (or two, b/c something similar yet different if you catch my drift happened with Nick in 1993) or, I don't know, how about 5 minutes like that with someone. So who knows, maybe we did have a moment, as one of my friends said. I felt like we did, or, I felt like I did. I'm so glad I got to meet him backstage, alone, instead of in the stage door waiting area, with the hoards of opera hotties waiting with their bouquets of flowers.

Ok, back to reality. He probably looks at everyone like that.

Let's talk about John Osborn for a second here. Very nice guy. Amazing voice. I was listening to the live broadcast I have of the Lyric's Barbiere. (Yes, I already have a recording of the production, although not the evening I was there, thanks to my Secret Source, does that surprise you? Thank you, Secret Source.) I can't connect that wonderful voice with the guy I was out at a bar with last week. My husband was totally star-struck by that, btw. How bizarre is that? He (JO, not my husb) kept asking me what I thought, did I like it, etc. Hello? You were amazing... wait, that was you? But you're just this normal guy I'm hanging out with here. A guy who won the singing contest at the Iowa State Fair when he was 16 - could it get any more... Midwestern?

Let's repost his picture here... After all, he's the one who invited me backstage, might as well give him some more air-time... this is from last month, when I met him after Rigoletto. Should've taken another pic with him and/or with him and Nathan together... Oh well.









BTW, readers, he and his very beautiful-like-she-could-be-a-model opera singer wife have a CD coming out soon.

I think I need some psychotherapy or something, because entire posts sounds and seems insane to me. Oh I know, I had to cancel my voice lesson on Thursday b/c I was too tired from traveling, and then this week is spring break for the music school. Is this how patients feel when their psychiatrists take August off to go on vacation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most teenagers would be reprimanded for having these kinds of thoughts. FOR SHAME Mrs. Myers!!!

Anyoo, nice post. How wonderful it is at 8 am to dive into the psyche of a crazed Gunn fan. I am happy to see that you've given Osborn some air time, because HE IS the person who made all this happen. Yay him!

Well, I have another four hours in this library, and your post only took up a few minutes. Uh-oh. Back to life.

-Jimmy

Ps. Actually, while I am stuck here, I am going to go ahead and send you a DD report! After all, you've been so patient.

Susan said...

To clarify for our thousands of readers, DD is Diana Damrau, young Jimmy's object of operatic interest. (read: he stalks her)