Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Breath is on the Wall

Breath on the wall? What the heck does that mean?

I know that one thing that I keep forgetting to do, or am still learning, that I need to practice to do consistently is to use my breath deeper in my body, to really use the low breath to support the notes. That and of course open open open my mouth more, but that's for another post.

Keeping the breath low. People keep telling me, but what does it mean? Should I feel like I've done an ab workout at the end of a song?

One thing I've mentioned before is that when my teacher had me "sit on the wall" I produced a much fuller sound, and I could feel that the breath was coming from deeper down. Sitting on the wall is simply pressing your back to a wall and sinking down as if there were a chair under you. You form 90 degree angles at your hips and knees, so your thighs are parallel to the floor. Relax the shoulders. Then, sing. It's a great quad workout too. It's extra challenging because we have hardwood floors everywhere and I'm usually in socks.

So in theory, all I have to do is practice singing on the wall for a bit, and then maintain the breathing when I'm standing. In theory... I'll post again with results.

No comments: