Sunday, April 6, 2008

Oh Yeeesss I'm an artiste!

Went to an art opening today of a long-time friend from college. She introduced me around to people as an opera singer! Uh... no... I kept telling her not to, and kept having to tell the person not to believe a word my friend was saying... Then one woman started talking to me about being a super and what do I need to do to prepare for an opera? Um... show up? Hello? I said like 3 times that it's a non-speaking, non-singing role. Then she asked why I'm not in the chorus. Um... because I'd have to audition? And I'm not in a position to do that? THEN she told me about some person she knows who was in the chorus with the Met opera, but, she said disdainfully, "She never made it out of the chorus." Well well well. Meanwhile, I'm thrilled to volunteer as a super with lil' ole <>. Being in the chorus - how cool would that be? So anyway I imagine it gave my friend more cred with her fellow artists to have a friend who was an opera singer than just... a friend.

Then I met this woman who said I looked really familiar. We couldn't figure out how... but it turns out that her sister is an opera singer and sends her links to blogs and other funny opera stuff. She might have read my blog, or maybe saw my comment on someone else's... But it's more likely that we met at some prior other art event of our mutual friend.

Ok it's not true that all I have to do as a super is show up. For Romeo I did have to put pin curls in my hair to pin the monk robe to my head, and a bun to hide the rest of it. As far as auditioning, they asked for a performance resume. That was funny... I was like... ok... I'll put one together... um... what I have I done... oh I know, I was a baton twirler from age 5-18... (no that's not me in that picture although I have twirled fire baton... did I put that on the resume? Don't remember!) um... Livingston Top Hats competitive baton twirling group, I marched in parades, I was in all my school plays... community theater... the school chorus that anyone can sign up for... the school audition-only special performing chorus... marching band ... um... oh yeah and the radio comedy troupe just after college, Hub City Spoke Repair. So I copied my "real" resume for the format and put all that stuff on it. It worked - I got the part. Female monk. Monkette. Monkee? Oh I guess I did stretch a little before lifting dead Juliette on her pallet. She was a dancer and all, but she was still kinda heavy... for me. But I didn't complain.

Ouch I think I need a massage now.

No comments: