Thursday, February 28, 2008

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

Voice lesson tonight. I sort of jumped the gun and tried to learn the entire aria in one week, tune, words and all. My teacher sent me home with instructions to sound it out on the piano, lip trill the melody, say the words to the beat while streeeetching out the vowels (legato, legato, legato) and above all not to rush to learn everything at once. I guess I knew this would happen. I want to know it all at once and be perfect and I'm too impatient to learn it the proper way. But I know that I have to follow her advice. Hey at least my pronunciation is good, when my Spanish doesn't interfere...

Also worked on vibrato. I think I was holding back because I was embarrassed, of all things. More psychology... but anyway I can do it. And then when I did the exercises and heard how it sounded I would start laughing. I ended up doing it with my back to the piano because otherwise I'd look at my teacher and laugh.

Told her how I sang Lasciatemi Morire while crawling around in the snow... I think she thought that was kind of weird... but hey it worked at the time!

So was it a voice lesson or a therapy session? .... Yes ...

No comments: