Saturday, February 16, 2008

"You'll Never Sing On Stage At The Met..."

"... if you only sing the vowels." Or so said my voice teacher today. I told her she should chop off the last half of that sentence to be truthful. I pointed out that perhaps one day I'll be onstage as a super... but let's be realistic. She said that when I was singing just the vowels of "Goodnight My Someone" to practice making it more legato. I'm reluctantly learning some songs in English just to have them on my list, in case I ever audition somewhere... one day...

Today she gave me a book of arias, I forget the name... to copy one of Despina's, from Cosi. Which one? Don't remember at the moment! I'm at the very beginning stages of learning it - my homework is to translate it word for word and do the IPA for the entire thing. You know I'll sit down at the piano and try to pick some of it out.

Listened to the podcast of an interview Nathan Gunn did with the Lyric. He described the scenario of Figaro's first aria and now I'm sort of annoyed with myself for listening. On the other hand, my memory is so bad that by tomorrow I probably won't remember, so I won't type it here.

Still have straight hair. I guess eventually I'll have to wash it...
Scroll to Feb 9, "How To Work It," to see how it usually looks.

No comments: