Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lasciatemi Morire - The Stages of Grief

Warning: Overly dramatic post follows.

I cried myself to sleep last night after hearing that Juan Diego has cancelled his run at the Lyric. At first I couldn't believe it. I was in denial. Then the floodgates opened.

I cannot express in words how much I was looking forward to seeing him as Almaviva, and seeing him and Nathan Gunn in the same opera, and possibly meeting him afterwards.

I am crushed. Devastated. I am on the verge of tears. I realize this means I have invested too much emotion in this opera, in this trip, in this man.

I am moving through the stages of grief and am kind of angry at him. How dare he go and cancel. Does he have any idea that people save their money to go and see him perform, and then to have him do something stupid like eat fish with bones? And is he being overly cautious by cancelling the entire run??? Why not do the last two performances, which would include the one I'm going to?

Bargaining: I'm sort of hoping that maybe he will be well enough and will step in for the last two. Is that bargaining? I don't think so - I'm not offering anything in return except my gratitude and releif if he does. Which I know he won't.

Depression: Well that's been there from the start.

Acceptance: At least I'll get away on my own and of course I can't forget that Nathan Gunn will be there, and hopefully I'll be able to meet him at the stage door afterwards.

This sucks.

No comments: