Wednesday, August 13, 2008

POWER Walk Leads to Revelation re: Men in Eyeliner

Went for a walk all by myself today. On my way out the door Alex said he wanted to come because... "I follow you everywhere." That's right. That's why I'm going ALONE!!!

Set the iPhone iPod to shuffle and off I went.

Very first song is some Mozart thing. Oh yeah, it was Nathan Gunn singing something from Cosi. Don't remember what cuz the truth is (Major Confession Coming) I'm not that familiar with it. So here I go on my Power Walk and there's like 5 minutes of recit. Yep. And I resolved before I started to accept whatever the shuffle gave me. Never thought I'd go out for a brisk walk to the sound of men sing-speaking to each other in Italian. So glad I can check that off my list. So eventually the singing part came along, Mozart, wonderful, blah blah, Nathan Gunn, great voice, blah blah blah... It doesn't need to be said, right?

Next up: Some sort of funky electronic thing. "What is this?" I asked myself, wondering how I could have something on my iPod and not know what it is. It was Duran Duran, "Electric Barbarella." Only some sort of extended dance mix. Now that was more like it.

Then... Adam and the Ants. Antmusic. Sigh. I still remember how crushed I was when I learned that they had broken up before I got to see them. Of course to make up for it I saw Adam solo 6 times and met him once. AND I got snarky with him, after he insulted me. He started it! I'll write about it if anyone asks. I'm still bitter, ha ha. Actually, that's not true. I'm not bitter. I'm proud. I'm proud that I've been snarky with Adam Ant. Yeah, I know I have a problem.

Ok Beatles after that... I honestly don't remember what song because I've been listening to them pretty much non-stop the past few days. Then Queen - Bicycle Race. **link leads to YouTube video that has glimpses and peeks of naked women on bikes, don't click if you're under 18 (You know who you are) or are somewhere that you don't want that showing up on your screen. Click to see this instead. ** When I was a kid and my brothers were teenagers, they saw Queen in concert and I remember them telling me about the topless women riding bikes back and forth across the stage. One brother had a poster too...

At this point I was really wishing I could sing out loud. It was hard not to. How weird would I have seemed - I mean, I had just passed by two women who were out walking with ski-poles. It's 80 degrees Fahrenheit, they were not on their way to the slopes. Seriously, after that I could have done anything, right?

Next was what we here in the I'd Rather Be Sleeping household call The Umbrella Song.

Then, Juan Diego Florez, something from Arias from Rubini. Something I sing along to in the car even though I don't know the words. C'mon, admit it, you do it too.

Still with me? Two more songs.

The Waitresses!!! I Know What Boys Like. I might have started sashaying at this point. Uphill. Cuz I do know what boys like. Is there a special name for an uphill sashay?

And finally, for the final stretch and approach to the front door, good old Harry! Harry Belafonte - Jump in the Line! Couldn't find a real video of it, so I'm linking to the bit at the end of Beetlejuice, even though it's not the "real" version of the song. But it's one of my favorite movies, so deal with it.

Just watched that JDF Rubini video - He still does it for me. Just like Adam Ant did in the 80s. Ok I don't really mean that.

So in the 80s for me it was lots of men in eyeliner. Then I reverted back to opera, which has... lots of men in eyeliner. What was it I just said? Oh I remember -Yeah, I know I have a problem.

My other problem: grammar extremist. "Reverted back." Is that redundant?

5 comments:

Kaitebon said...

I don't know Cosi very well either!!!!!!!!!!!! I have two recordings of it with my very-favorite-singer-in-the-whole-wide-world, Sir Thomas Allen in them: One from a while ago in which he sings Guglielmo (sp?) and a more recent one in which he sings Don Alfonso, but I can't seem to get into it. The other two Da Ponte operas I could practically sing the whole way through, but there is something missing in Cosi Fan Tutte...

poltergeist said...

I also confess my lack of knowledge about Cosi...never listened it...
And yes, I also sing Arias for Rubini without understanding very well some songs!! ;)

Lydia said...

I listened to a Met broadcast of Cosi while sort of taking a nap after I took the SAT. Yeah, I'm a dork.
I usually listen to Hvorostovsky while I take walks, but I've also worked out to Joshua Bell playing Bernstein. And I'm still a dork. And proud of it.
Arias for Rubini!!!!!!!=)

Susan said...

I've listened to all of Cosi, and I've seen a funky 60s-style production of it on TV, but I still can't recognize it right I away if I hear it out of context. I'll have to hear a character's name, or sometimes I recognize it by elimination.

I even taped it off the radio (onto this old-fashioned thing called a "cassette tape") last summer when the Lyric's production with Nathan Gunn was rebroadcast one Saturday afternoon. Still can't tell where it is in the opera if I pop it into the player.

Of course, I AM familiar with Despina's, "Una Donna..." ;)

Perhaps we should all do some homework this month and listen to it again.

Lydia- Join the club! How was the SAT? Look at my profile to see where I work. ;)

Drammy said...

haha I think the ski-poles are a women's fitness fad. supposed to burn more cals. Laughed when I read it in a magazine.