Monday, January 12, 2009

So Hot, So Cold

Just returned north after a few days in sunny Florida. Didn't get to sing much due to disinterested parties, who, sadly enough, are my parents. I tried to sing officially once. Una Donna. They cut me off after two lines:

Dad: I can't understand that.
Mom: I have that in English from the Met, do you want to hear it?
Dad: You should sing it in English.
Mom: I have the libretto that came with the record - it's in English. (she starts to sing a bit of it...)
Dad: (walks away)
Me: Um... no thanks... ok, well... I guess I'm done.

Then another time I was reading my music and humming along to practice/learn. Alex and Husband were goofing around and Alex said, "Stop! Tell him to stop," and my mom misheard and said, "Yeah, tell her to stop." Nice. Thanks mom.

The third and final time I was singing bits of Traviata that I don't even know the words to, just oohing and aahing as I was going about my business, and I stopped/faltered when I got to a note that was too high for comfort. My father started to laugh. I asked him why he was laughing. I wish I could convey the tone of his response. Think ridicule. "Oh, I thought you were going to shatter a glass with that high C." Yeah, whatever. Thanks dad.

So, there you have it. Sing like no one is listening, including and/or especially your parents.

Many people are remarking upon how sad I must be to leave sunny Florida for freezing New Jersey. I'm sad, but I'm not that sad.

1 comment:

Mark Wintle said...

I never practiced my flute at home (for fear of ridicule) and consequently was a HORRIBLE flutist from 4th-8th grade -- which is a really long time at that age, like maybe 12 years.