Saturday, September 13, 2008

Tickets In, Tickets Out, Tickets In Again

So just for fun I went to StubHub to see how much people were asking for La Sonnambula tickets for March 24. Go ahead, click the link (to open in a new window, of course) and take a look-see. I'll wait.
.
.(hmmm hmmm hmmm la la la)
.
Over $300 for Family Circle seats? Are people insane???? The only date I found Dress Circle tickets for, they're asking $330 per ticket! One row back from my seats. My jaw dropped open and stayed on the floor for a quite some time as I processed the information.

So next I trolled through Craigslist for NYC, just to see if anyone was selling opera tickets, and if so, how much they were asking there. Never thought I'd find someone wanting to purchase tickets for it! So I popped that person an email with this photo

(Note how I smeared out the barcode just in case... of what, I'm not sure.)


and offered to sell them for $175 each. I was going to ask $150 but I figured they might come back lower, ya know? Well, they came back and said yes! I just made and extra $150 that I never planned on. That pretty much pays for my two Met operas this season, which means no guilt over the Philadelphia ones. Of course now I'm like, dang, I should have asked for $200! But I'm not out to make a profit - it's nice, but honestly I'm excited that someone out there wanted to see Juan Diego Florez and now they can!

Next step: Call the babysitter and see if he's free any of the nights Italian Girl in Algiers is on in Philly and then purchase the $72 tickets. Ha ha with taxes and fees it comes to $155.

The Craigslist guy and I "finalize" the deal on Monday, so I guess I shouldn't jump up and down just yet. Ok, maybe just a little.

Ah well, all because my friend said no to the overnight. Thanks, friend.

No comments: