Sunday, September 28, 2008

Opera Birthday!!

My mom turns 81 this year. She is an opera lover too. I mean, it didn't just pop up in me overnight. I grew up hearing the Saturday Afternoon Broadcast, well, every Saturday afternoon, and many other operas on the stereo system from those LPs that come in boxes because you need like 6 records for one opera.

So my parents live in South East Florida, where all respectful New Jersey Jews go to when they retire. Everyone has a New York or New Jersey accent.

My mother hasn't been to the opera in like 45 years, even though, before she met my dad, she had a subscription to the (old) Met and went one a week for years. Gee, thanks dad. So for her birthday, I decided I was going to take her to the opera. But how? So I poked around and discovered that Florida Grand Opera holds some of its performances at a theater about 20 minutes from where my parents live. And next Spring they're doing Nozze di Figaro. AND... Liz Caballero has the part of the Countess. !!!! So I got the tickets - air and opera. My mother is THRILLED. AND I told Liz we were coming and she said to remind her to put us on the backstage list. Is that not the coolest?

SOOOOO I'm going to the opera. Again. In April. In Florida. With my mother. And we'll see Liz perform. Dove Sono... Porgi Amor better bring a box of tissues. (Yeah, I know the links aren't of Liz, but it's Renee so stop complaining.)

3 comments:

Lydia said...

How exciting! I'm sure your mother will be thrilled! =)

DivaVixxen said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Susan said...

Thank you! She'll be 81 on October 16. Last year, for her 80th birthday, Alex and I flew to Florida to surprise her. This year, it's the opera.