Saturday, December 5, 2009

When it Rains... It Snows!

That was today's weather... rain... then snow!

Had a voice lesson this morning. After the vocalises my teacher asked if I would sing Zerlina for her, Batti Batti. Um, sure, ok. So I did, then she told me that the Conservatory was holding a recital on the main campus to showcase the students of the satellite campus. Each teacher is allowed to send one student over for the recital and she offered the opportunity to me! To sing that aria! It's at the end of January. I'm excited to have another opportunity to perform, even if, like last May, the audience will consist mostly of the parents of the other students. Most of them are kids, studying all sorts of instruments - piano, flute, violin, etc. But I don't care. I'm thrilled at the idea of performing again so soon and I sure can use the practice! One of the things we talked about was how much I move about when I sing. She kept telling me "less is more" and that she could see me doing the hunchy thing in the video from last month. So I will practice standing still, keeping my shoulders down and taking the emotion of our my actions and into my voice. She didn't tell me to do that last thing, but I'll see if I can do it. I think I saw someone do that at a masterclass once. The one masterclass I ever went to. I was bored out of my mind at the time because I had no idea I'd later go on to study voice myself. So it's a great feeling to have something to prepare for, and then hopefully I'll feel comfortable enough to sing that at the next Opera Project recital in March. So the title of my post - when it rains, it pours? Or snows, since that what it did today - I feel like, now that I've had a little experience, more opportunities are suddenly rolling in. Well, I have my umbrella - bring on the precipitation! (I realize how much of a dork I am as I wrote that, so go ahead and make fun of me. I'm used to it.)

After lunch we went on an errand. I turned on the Saturday Afternoon Broadcast and realized I was hearing American Tragedy. I had learned earlier in the day via an email that it was going to be broadcast, but when I turned on the radio I was expecting to get the Met broadcast. But as soon as I heard the singing in English I knew what it was.

It took us about 10 minutes to get where we were going. That was enough time for me to realize that I'm just not that into modern opera. Perhaps being there and seeing it would make a difference. But on the radio I had a hard time with the music. We heard a bit on the way home and I actually turned it off. Yes, I turned off the radio while Our Favorite Baritone was singing. I hope they don't kick me out of the fan club. Heh. I made up for it later by watching the Magic Flute from the Met, DVR'd way back when it was on Great Performances on PBS. Alex sat with me and watched (almost) the entire thing. Husband did too. Then he (Husband) said he would have gone to see this with me at the Met. I told him I would go twice if he wanted to go, but we'd have to sit in the Family Circle, up near the ceiling. He didn't want to risk a concussion when he stood up so he declined.

No comments: