Sunday, December 13, 2009

Too Much Vibra-a-a-a-a-a-a-to

Friday night after dinner Husband, Alex and I went to a holiday music performance and sing-a-long at a nearby museum. The singers were from the young artist program of my local opera company. They're all so young - fresh out of college - and so talented! The music was nice and almost all if not all in English. Alex's favorite was when the baritone sang the Grinch song. Listening to it again it sounds more bass than bari but the program listed him as a baritone. At the end of the short program they did the sing-a-long. Alex had been waiting all evening, past his bedtime, for Rudolph. As soon as it was over he lost all composure and was Very Ready to leave, so we did. I wanted to stay and sing... but it was not to be. So it was very lovely. I just want to comment/ask about one thing. The soprano, who was tiny, adorable and charismatic, sometimes had so much vibrato in her voice that it was hard to hear the notes. When the vibrato wasn't overwhelming the notes she sounded absolutely lovely. Husband noticed it too.

And now, for your cringing pleasure, here is a video that's so horrible you'll want to watch it twice.

3 comments:

Raisa said...

I just participated in a sing along at Baltimore Symphony last week. We performed in Too Hot to Handel (a modern adaptation of Handel's Messiah).It was quite an experience. (See my blog for details). Happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

What a small world! Too Hot to Handel was actually written for my husband - most of the tenor solos are open score - Thomas Young premiered it 15 years ago and still singing it today! In fact, TONIGHT he does it with Marin Alsop and the Colorado Symphony!

Susan said...

Wow! That's really interesting!

I've been off-blog for the past week - I think I have to get back into it - there's always something to write about... and read about!!