Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Trying to Float

I have a voice lesson this afternoon. To prepare, I usually listen to the previous lesson while I'm at work. Obviously I don't sing along… but it helps put me in the right frame of mind. So this morning I took notes on what my teacher said. Here is some of it:

  • Pull it up
  • Get the tip of the tongue down
  • On top of air all the time
  • Make the connection (from exercises) to songs
  • Think UP as you do down
  • Keep the air going
  • Keep it on the air
  • Open jaw (as notes got higher)
  • Drop jaw like you're going to vomit
  • Pull it up (the voice) for the "flip"
  • Right away on the airstream
  • Drop it (the voice) on top of your airstream
  • Float it (the voice) on your air

Anyone else sense a theme here?

One of the things I noticed last week when I was doing it right was that the airstream never changed - just the notes did. Before, I had been in the habit of changing the air along with the notes. It really is so much easier to sing with that steady airstream - like no effort. The voice really DOES seem to just float up top.

So I seem to get some of the cognitive stuff. Now I just have to continue practicing the physical side. Float it, baby.

I'll report again after the lesson.

No comments: