Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Whines

This morning's forecast from the National Weather Service:

RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES OF AROUND 100 DEGREES ARE FORECAST FOR TODAY AND NEAR 100 DEGREES FOR WEDNESDAY. THE HEAT INDEX SHOULD RISE TO BETWEEN 100 AND 105 DEGREES BOTH AFTERNOONS.

And so on. Air quality alerts. Hazy, hot, humid and cranky.

I do have a voice lesson on Wednesday afternoon. Luckily, it's inside in an air-conditioned environment.

In other hot and hazy news, the local opera company's summer season starts this month. I recall going to rehearsals for Traviata in weather like this and I admit I'm not sorry to be missing that. I also recall that no matter how frigid the seats in the auditorium were, the stage was always hot, hot, hot, and it was no joy running around backstage sweating like mad in layers of long-sleeved, high-necked costumes.

Anyway, I still haven't purchased tickets. The prices have gone WAY up!!! $59 for the cheapest tickets in the small theater and $35 for tippy top final balcony row in the big theater. If they are also selling $15 standing room tix for the small theater I'll go see Don Pasquale there. Otherwise I'll probably get the $35 ticket to see Don Giovanni and skip D. Pasquale and Faust. Although someone recommended I go see Faust because the wife of this guy who was in a band that I used to go see when I was in high school is one of the leads, and it would be fun to see him and say hi. My friends and I hung out with them a bit so he might remember me, although I doubt it. I'd have to go opening night, I assume, and look for him in the lobby during intermission? Yeah, exactly. Not really a reason to go. However another singer in Faust was in Rape of Lucretia and Lucia from last year, and he was great in both. Scared the heck out of me as the brother in Lucia, if I recall.

Don't know what to do. Last year I managed to see all three productions for $15. I had final dress tickets for Mikado, got free tickets for Lucia because they hadn't sold enough and wanted more bodies in the house and I happened to be in the right place at the right time (ie, the lobby after Mikado) when they were collecting names for the list, and then I bought a $15 standing room ticket for Abduction. Don't think that's going to happen this year. *sigh* Whine, whine whine.

No comments: