Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Short Version - Pins and Wings

I'm not ready to write about all of last night yet, but I had to tell everyone about the totally bizarre and surreal aspect of the evening.

Long story short... stomach virus and near-fainting. Ended up in the doctor's office backstage where I had... acupuncture!!! When I was feeling recovered, I was allowed to watch some of the opera... from the wings!!! Like, 10 feet from Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Florez and whoever sang the role of Suplice, while they did the "Tous les trois" trio. All this, except of course with Damrau instead of Dessay. If I didn't pass out from the illness, I was ready to pass out from excitement.

Full story to follow shortly...But I just HAD to share that first!!

3 comments:

msg said...

I can't wait to read about your experience. I saw Juan Diego Florez and Diana Damrau in La Fille opening night. They were great. How lucky you are to work alongside some fabulous singers! I'm sure they're lovely people in real life too.

Susan said...

Thank you for your comment. I don't work alongside Diana Damrau and Juan Diego Florez. I was a regular audience member just like you. I got sick during the performance and ended up in the doc office backstage, and from there was allowed to watch a bit from the wings.
I do work alongside fabulous singers when I super with NJ Opera, and I do feel lucky when I get to be in a performance. :)

Raisa said...

Susan, I am sorry you got sick during the performance - I hope you are feeling better. Looking at the bright side though , you got to see it from a different angle, and perhaps perspective. Look forward to reading the full version. Tell Alex he looks very cool and grown-up in that suit!