Saturday, February 9, 2008

How to Work It




Yesterday I went alone to see a local production of Rigoletto. Here I am on my way out the door.

I couldn't get a comp anything so, luckily, since I'm a grown-up person with a job, I plunked down the cash. I bought the ticket the afternoon of the show and was in the 2nd to last row in the balcony! Not a big deal - it's a small theater.

The opera was fantastic. It was semi-staged - the orchestra was on the stage behind a smoky screen, and all the action took place downstage. The woman who sang Gilda was FABULOUS!!!! But that's not why you're reading this...

John Osborn was great. His voice is not as light as JDF's but it's close. It was almost too light for the role here. He can hit the high notes NO PROBLEM. So already during the opera I realized that I wouldn't be disappointed in Chicago. I felt like he was holding back strings of coloratura that weren't appropriate for Verdi, but WHOAH I can't wait to hear him sing Almaviva!

Afterwards I went to the reception. It was weird to be there alone but a bunch of people I knew from last summer eventually wandered in - some of the chorus, some dancers, etc. So once the cast was there, the director of the opera company made a toast and introduced each person, thanked everyone, blah blah blah. That's when I made my Move.

I made my way through the crowd until I was near John. He was trapped in conversation by some elderly Patron of the Arts blah blah blah. The talk turned to traveling to see operas...seemed like an appropriate moment so I shoved my way in, stuck out my hand and introduced myself. (excerpts follow as I don't remember exactly, you know how that is)

Me: Excuse me, John? Hi, my name is Susan. I'm going to Chicago next month to see Barbiere.

Him: That's great!

Me: Actually... I was going to see Juan Diego Florez...

Him: Ohhhhh you're one of THOSE people!! (with a laugh)

Me: It's ok, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Him: I know, I can sing. (said laughingly and nice, not snotty)

I asked him if he was going to sing Cessa because from what I heard he can, and he was like, "I sure am!" And dorkingly enough I actually gave him a thumbs up and was like, "Alll riiight, now I can go and report back to all the opera blogs I read. People want to know."

I mentioned that I have my own silly blog, and he said, "No, they're not silly, they're all great!" or something like that. He seemed thrilled that I was going to give him a good review with the blog audience.

I also told him that I was going specifically to see JDF and Nathan Gunn together and he went off on how wonderful NG is, and Joyce D, and the entire cast, and if I come for one of the first three performances I'll see an all american cast, which is unusual for an opera... I told him I'm coming on the 19th, and he said, "Oh, that's the 2nd to last performance."

And then he said: What's your last name? How do you spell it? Will you come back to say hello? I'll put you on the list.

Me, totally stupid: How do I do that?

Him: You just come to the stage door and give them your name.

Me: Oh! (I think I thanked him but I can't remember!)

I wrote my name, email and blog url on a napkin and said, "Now don't sneeze in this," as I handed it to him. Meanwhile he had begun an animated conversation in Italian with someone he addressed as Maestro - but it wasn't the conductor of this particular show. So I interrupted one last time and had Mr. Italian Maestro take our picture "for the blog." ;)


















He said he'd put my info into his blackberry so he remembers to put me on the list that day.

He was really nice and jokey-friendly. Very easy to talk to.

And then I giggled all the way home.

So... the question is... will he remember?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Susan. I'm off myspace now, but keep in touch if you wish. I am soo excited for you and your backstage in Chicago! Now we want pictures you know!! Sharon
www.monkeemusicbox@ameritech.net

Carlos said...

Good move Susan! I have enjoyed very much your post. I hope you will have a good time in Chicago.

gkmontreal@gmail.com said...

Dear Susan !
I loved the story very much it was surprise - it is so (too)nice -
and the with Him ? ahhh!!! very good ! You did it very well everything turened out very well I told you dreams come true :):) !!!! He will remember you (I am sure :)
Best from Montreal Gabriella