Sunday, June 24, 2007

Super Duper

Whew. Lots has happened since I last posted.

First the annoying stuff. I went back to the massage place to deliver the earrings and pick up the contract and the woman had to run into an emergency meeting... I called a couple of times, she was never there, she never returned my calls. Finally she was there but on another line. I was put on hold. Then the same person who answered the phone came back and said, "Robin's really swamped right now and she just can't take on any new product at the moment. Can you come back next month?" I was a little miffed, to say the least, since she had agreed to sell my stuff, we agreed on an asking price and the percentages. I'm also annoyed b/c I purchased a 6 month membership sort of because she agreed to sell my earrings. At least that'll force me to go back. However I have lost respect for her. She and I had an agreement and she had one of her employees tell me she changed her mind. Very uncool.

Okaaaay. Onto the good stuff! I went to the rehearsal this morning for Romeo and Juliet and I'm in as a super! I'm going to be a monk. (Ok stop laughing now, especially those of you who know that I was a nun in my high-school's production of The Sound of Music!) So the opera starts out with a the chorus and a monk lamenting the tragic deaths of Romeo and Juliet. The monks (hey, that's me in that brown robe!) bring them in on pallets. I'm one of the 4 who carry Juliet. It's a dancer double, not the opera singer. She's still pretty heavy to carry though. So I'm in the front, near her feet. We bring her on stage and stop at an angle. The 4 other monks come in from the other side with Romeo. The friar sings his piece, uncovering each face, then we straighten out and place the pallets down. The monks near the front of the pallet (hey, that's me!) cross over to the front side of the stage while the friar does his thing (he wasn't there so I'm not quite sure what that is...) and then we come back and carry them out. And that's it, I'm done, as far as I know. We rehearsed with the chorus after lunch and that was awesome. They sound amazing.

After the rehearsal we went to the costume dept to get fitted into our robes. Mine was too long of course, but the sleeves were too short. The costume dept is quite a scene - costumes stuffed onto racks everywhere, and desks with sewing machines crammed in between.

On one of the days we're going to see Die Zauberflote at 1pm and then I'm in Romeo that night at 8! A long day at the theater!

On another note, my obsession with Juan Diego Florez continues. I cannot get enough of his voice. It's like velvet. It's like flowing water. It's nothing I've ever heard before. I can't explain what it does to me. Sometimes I'm moved almost to tears, other times I feel like I'm melting into a puddle. Amazing. I think about how many people DON'T know about him and feel sad for them. How weird is that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I completely agress about what you said about Juan Diego Florez.