Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Opera Fund

So it begins. I'm going to see Romeo et Juliet on December 12 at the Met. Perhaps I already posted about it... I can't remember right now. It'll cost upwards of $200 for the ticket, transportation, food etc. In order to assuage any guilt I may have at spending $200 for one night's entertainment, I have established a mental "opera fund." I started with a weight-loss challenge with the moms' club. Six of us each paid $25. We weighed in every week for 8 weeks, gave each other tips for diet and exercise and generally supported one-another in our weight-loss endeavor. The person who lost the largest % of her body weight would win all the money. I knew I had an advantage because I started out smaller than all the other women in the challenge. I ended up losing 11 lbs in 8 weeks, which came to about 8% of my body weight, and I won the challenge! That $125 is a great chunk to start off with! Plus as an added bonus I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, although for some reason my pre-preg clothes don't all fit... which leads to my next opera-related expense: A new outfit to wear! So I'm going into high gear selling earrings. I'm going to a local spa next week to show them what I have. Hopefully they'll sell my earrings on consignment. I'm also selling off lots of vintage jewelry, beads and findings on Ebay. Once I reach $200 profit I'll close my mental account.

No comments: